Weight loss surgery is a synonym to bariatric surgery. Not anybody may undergo a bariatric surgery as it may involve certain complications. On the basis of the risk-benefit analysis, the American College of Physicians had issued guidelines on the criteria of patients who should undergo bariatric surgery. According to these guidelines, patients who have the BMI of 40kg/m2 or more and are suffering from other co-morbid conditions such as hypertension, impaired glucose tolerance, sleep apnea, and dyslipidemia may opt for surgical treatment, and the patient should be advised to go to those centers with high experience to perform such type of surgeries.
According to a survey, approximately 40 patients undergo bariatric surgery in Singapore in the period between 1987 to 2003 (16 years). The number rose significantly in the later years and this number increases to 278 in the period between 2005 to 2009 (4 years). The statistics tell about the growing confidence of people in the medical advancement in bariatric surgery in Singapore. Through its most modern facilities, investment in developing huge infrastructure and doctors with advanced training in the field of bariatric surgery has fueled medical tourism for bariatric surgery in Singapore. The hospitals are equipped with modern equipment along with customized post-surgical care which is a critical requirement in such operations.
The cost of bariatric surgery in Singapore is relatively less as compared to developed nations such as Europe and the USA. Even with the relatively lesser cost, the quality of services in bariatric surgery is as par with these developed nations. The number of such surgeries has been increased and more and more people are visiting Singapore for bariatric surgery. There are various other factors that decide the cost of the surgery:
1) Type of hospital: More the facilities provided by the hospital, more would be the charges. Further, the charges also depend upon the type of room the patient will choose.
2) Experience of doctors: People generally go to doctors who are highly experienced. The surgery charges of such doctors are relatively high thus escalating the overall cost.
3) Post-surgical care: Post-operative care is critical in bariatric surgery. The hospital with the most modern facilities, equipment, and trained staff would charge higher from the patients.
4) Types of surgery: More complex the surgery, higher will be the charges.
5) Underlying medical conditions: More the patient suffering from an underlying medical condition such as diabetes, hypertension or dyslipidemia, more complex the surgery will be and there would be an increase in total cost.
Apart from the above, the period of hospitalization and medication charges also plays an important role in determining the cost.
4 Clinics For Bariatric Surgery in Singapore
Singapore is attracting the patients as a part of its medical tourism due to modern facilities, advanced treatment and surgical technology, comprehensive care, cleanliness, and English speaking staff. The healthcare system of Singapore is well in order without any chaos. Due to its quality healthcare services in all the therapeutic area, it has achieved a high rank in the Medical Tourism Index. Various hospitals in Singapore are providing excellent care in bariatric surgery with an exceptionally high rate of success. All the types of bariatric surgeries, whether it is Gastric handing, Gastric Sleeve or Gastric bypass, are available in Singapore. The Hospitals are also equipped with experienced surgeons and trained Para-medical staff to look after the patient.
The cost of bariatric surgery in Singapore is generally divided into two categories on the basis of subsidy. The people who fulfill the criteria of subsidy may have to shell out a lot less as compared to those who fail to fulfill the criteria. On average, the cost of bariatric surgery with subsidy is about 8000$ to 10000$, while the cost without subsidy may be around 25000$ to 28000$. The cost of the bariatric surgery also depends upon the type of surgery and the complexity involved, the cost of the room per day, the infrastructure of the hospital, co-morbid medical condition, testing charges as well the medications.
Various top hospitals are available in Singapore for bariatric surgery which is providing comprehensive care and is equipped with huge infrastructure and surgeons with advanced knowledge addicted by highly-trained staff.
Following are the hospitals in Singapore for Bariatric Surgery:
1) Mount Elizabeth Hospital
2) Raffles Hospital
3) Changi General Hospital
4) National University Hospital
5) Alexandra Hospital
6) Lapband Surgery Center
7) Sengkang General Hospital
8) Khoo Teck Puat Hospital
Experienced Surgeons with advanced degrees in bariatric surgeries are also providing their services at the hospitals as well as in their individual clinics. The top bariatric surgeons of Singapore are:
1) Dr. Lim Chin Hong, Sengkang General Hospital
2) Dr. Baladas Haridas Ganesan, Raffles Hospital
3) Dr. Asim Shabbir, National University Hospital
4) Dr. Shanker Pasupathy, Gleneagles Hospital, and Mount Elizabeth Hospital
5) Dr. Jaideepraj Rao, Tan Tock Seng Hospital
Weight loss surgery in Singapore are performed with a high success rate, provided the patient should follow the guidelines as advised by the surgeon. Almost all the hospitals in Singapore for bariatric surgery are having facilities, post-operative care, and experienced surgeons. This results in an increase in the number of bariatric surgeries on a continuous basis. The complications of bariatric surgeries are effectively managed due to the presence of doctors in various therapeutic areas.
Most bariatric surgeries in Singapore are performed through minimally invasive techniques. This means that the cut or the incision made is very small and the recovery time is short. Due to the minimally invasive technique, the complications are significantly reduced, and the patient may go home within 2-4 days of surgery. Pain relieving medications are prescribed to ease pain and post-operative exercise improves blood circulation and helps a speedy recovery. The guideline is provided by the experienced medical staff of Singapore hospital on the basis of the daily routine as well as the surrounding environment of the patient. The patient ma performs normal activities within 4-5 weeks.
Following are the various types of weight loss surgeries available in Singapore:
1) Gastric balloon: Gastric balloon reduces the urge to eat and a sensation of fullness is induced.
2) Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy: In this surgery, the size of the stomach is significantly reduced, and the stomach looks like a tube or sleeve.
3) Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: A silicon band is placed on the upper end of the stomach leading to increased fullness and less hunger.
4) Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass: The stomach is converted into a small pouch which is then attached to the intestine. This results in low-calorie absorption.
(+1) 424 283 4838