The natural process of fertilization involves the conjugation of an egg and sperm inside the woman’s body. In-vitro-fertilization (IVF) is the procedure that involves the conception of an egg outside the body in a laboratory. IVF comes under assisted reproductive technology (ART) that involves the use of advanced medical technology to help with pregnancy in the woman.
Types of IVF treatment
The different types of treatments available for IVF are:
- Natural cycle IVF procedure: In this treatment, the fertility drugs are not administered. The egg released during the normal monthly cycle is collected and then fertilized.
- Mild stimulation IVF procedure: The lower dose fertility drugs are administered and then the eggs are collected and fertilized.
- In vitro maturation (IVM): The immature ovaries are collected and then allowed to mature in the laboratory.
- Embryo transfer: The fertilized embryos are taken and transferred to the mother’s womb.
- Blastocyst transfer: The embryos are cultured in the laboratory until blastocyst stage and then transferred to the mother’s womb.