Knee replacement surgery has become quite common and more affordable in the last few years. It is now considered as a safe option for people with severe osteoarthritis of the knee joint. This is especially a boon for patients who have end-stage arthritis of the knee. Here we present to you the Knee Replacement Cost Guide for figuring out costs and procedure breakdown of Total Knee Replacement Surgery in India, Thailand, Singapore.
The constant increase in the number of patients undergoing knee replacement surgery can be attributed to a number of reasons, including the following:
- Increased affordability: Now a greater number of patients prefer to opt for knee replacement surgery because the cost of implants has decreased significantly in the recent past.
- A range of implants available: Thanks to advancements in medical technology, there are a number of knee implants available today to fulfill the individual needs of the patients. From implants with 180 and 360 degrees motion to 3D-printed knee implants, there is nothing that isn’t available to benefit patients with different severity of osteoarthritis.
- Improved surgical outcomes: Open knee replacement is a thing of the past. Now, several knee replacement technologies are available that offer greater benefits and ensures positive outcomes. Thanks to minimally invasive technology, knee replacement is not that painful anymore. Nor does it take weeks of hospitalization for the patient to recover.
Know More About Knee Replacement Surgery from Symptoms to Recovery
But still, the cost of knee replacement surgery in the Western countries continues to remain on the higher side. For patients in such countries who wish to undergo affordable knee replacement surgery, flying to the top medical tourism destination is an option. Some of these medical tourism hotspots for knee replacement include India, Thailand, and Turkey.
The Average Cost of Knee Replacement: Top Countries
The following table highlight the average cost of knee replacement surgery in some of the top medical tourism destinations in the world:
||Single Knee Cost
||Both Knees Cost
The average cost of knee replacement surgery in the Western countries may start from $30000. Further, it is seen that the cost of knee replacement surgery varies not only from country to country but within a country or a city as well. This is especially true about the US.
For example, the knee surgery cost in Dallas, US, may vary between $16,772 and $61,585, depending on the hospital. Paying a higher price for a procedure does not necessarily mean that the quality that the hospital offers to the patient is any better than the hospital that is less expensive.
There are several factors that can be attributed to the disparity between the pricing of the same procedure within the same city. Competition, state taxes, location, and the level of free care provided by the hospital are some of them.
The cost of knee replacement in India, Turkey, Mexico, Thailand, and Taiwan, on the other hand, is much more reasonable than in the Western countries. The cost drops by as much as 50 to 80 percent in these countries. This explains the patient mindset when they decide to travel to the overseas to get knee implants.
Click here to know the Best Hospitals and Top Destinations for Knee Replacement
Top Factors Affecting Cost of Knee Replacement
Type, Material, and Manufacturer of Implant
There are different types and material of knee implants available today to choose from. Each implant has a specific purpose and is most suitable for a specific patient group. For example, older adults can manage everyday activities with an implant that allows flexion of 110 degrees. However, younger adults may need a high-flex knee implant because of an excessive activity level.
Cobalt chromium alloy, titanium alloy, oxidized zirconium, and polyethylene implants are commonly available nowadays. Each implant material has specific pros and cons associated with them. They vary in terms of pricing, use, availability, and longevity.
Furthermore, the total knee replacement surgery cost varies from one manufacturer to the other. It also depends on whether the manufacturer is available in the country or if the implant is being imported from a manufacturer located abroad.
Type of Surgery
An individual is either recommended to undergo total knee replacement (TKR) or partial knee replacement. The difference lies in the portion of the knee joint replaced during the procedure. The duration of hospitalization and the recovery period in the case of TKR is greater than that of partial replacement. Therefore, there is a direct impact on the total cost that the patient has to shell out of his pocket for the procedure.
Hospitals with the most advanced infrastructure and state-of-the-art technologies tend to charge higher than other hospitals. This is despite the fact that the experience and the qualifications of the surgeon handling the case could be the same. The cost also depends on the location of the hospital. Centrally-located and easily accessible hospitals are expensive than remotely located ones.
Experience of the Surgeon
The cost of knee surgery also depends on how experienced the surgeon is. Surgeons with vast experience are the most sought after. In fact, it has been scientifically proved that surgeons who perform more than 50 TKR a year have less than one-third complications rate as compared to those who perform less than 50 TKR per year.
Most patients prefer to be treated by a surgeon who is experienced. But there is an extra price that they must pay for it.
Rehabilitation after knee replacement includes physiotherapy, which is conducted at an extra cost. The doctors usually advise the candidate to undergo physiotherapy for at least 6 to 12 weeks for better outcomes and pain relief. Each session of physical therapy may cost anywhere between $20 and $350, depending on the country where you are getting treated. Rehabilitation is an important aspect of recovery after knee replacement. Therefore, patients must take into consideration these expenses while planning for the surgery.
Are you struggling to find what you are looking for?
Get Expert's Callback
The patient may have to incur incidental costs in case of any complication. Additionally, the costs may increase when the duration of stay inside the ICU post surgery is extended. Like any other surgery, there are certain complications associated with knee replacement as well. Post-surgical infection delayed wound healing, deep vein thrombosis (DVT), and pulmonary embolism are some of the examples. The management of such conditions has an impact on the overall cost.
- Unanticipated care and management of a pre-existing condition may add to the total bill amount.
- The greater the number of days you spend at the hospital, the bigger is the billing amount.
- Cost of private or single accommodation is greater than shared or multi-bedded accommodation.
- Follow-up visits after discharge from the hospital cost extra.
- Loss of earning resulting out of hospital stay and impact of surgery may add to the financial burden.
Knee Replacement Surgery Cost Itemized Breakdown
- Physical examination
- Bone mineral density (BMD)
- Liver function test
- Blood testimonial
- ECG or EKG
- Urine test
- Surgery team fees
- Anesthesia charges
- OT charges
- Knee implants
- Other consumables and medicines
- Blood transfusion, if needed
- ICU charges
- Use of technology
- Physiotherapist charges
- Medications for pain
- Other consumables such as a walker, crutches, or dressing
- Hospital bed charges
- Any additional service availed
- Any other consultation
- Complications management
- Unanticipated care
- Follow-up cost
For dental infections to prevent post-surgical complications
Anticoagulants and antibiotics
Tips To Choose A Hospital Overseas For Knee Replacement
- Choose the country wisely. Countries that offer cheaper treatment do not necessarily compromise with the quality of medical services.
- Choose the surgeon wisely. Do not choose someone who is experienced but charges a whopping amount.
- Choose a surgeon whose clinic is less crowded. Surgeons who are hugely popular tend to remain busy and spend less time per patient. This may hinder personalized care that you may desire to have.
- Seek help from a hospital or a medical tourism facilitator to arrange for additional needs. This may include accommodation, local travel, translator services, and hospital transfer.
- Check the credibility of the hospital online before selecting one. Look for patient testimonials and Google reviews.
- Check the accreditation of the hospital. Prefer to choose a hospital that is certified by Joint Commission International (JCI).
- Ask for all the information beforehand about the type of implants that will be used. Also, ask for a detailed profile of the surgeon who will conduct the surgery.
- Seek an estimate for potential costs associated with airline tickets, hotel, food, and other expenses.
Best Internationally Recognized and JCI-Certified Hospitals in the world for Total Knee Replacement Surgery
Some Internationally Recognized JCI-certified Hospitals
Steps to Reduce Knee Replacement Surgery Cost
Find an accredited hospital that has a location which is most convenient for you.
Find a surgeon who is experienced, yet charges a nominal fee.
Choose an implant that is most suitable for you as per your activity level and budget. Seek help from the doctor.
Eliminate all avoidable expenses such as not opting for luxury services or private room.
Prepare well in advance to speed up recovery after the surgery. Take a balanced diet, quit smoking, and plan physiotherapy sessions in advance.
Book flight tickets (if applicable) well in advance to save on the overall cost.
Inform your medical insurance company to ensure that the procedure is covered.
Talk to our Healthcare Experts for the Treatment Plan
Get the Best Quotes