About General Laparoscopic Surgeon
A general laparoscopic surgeon is a doctor specialized in performing laparoscopic surgeries. Laparoscopic surgery, also known as keyhole surgery, is a surgical procedure performed through a small incision, made for the surgery, and passing a small tube with a video camera to the body cavity to look inside the body and pinpoint the area of operation.
General surgeons are trained to operate on the:
- Alimentary tract i.e. esophagus and related organs.
- Abdomen and parts constituting it.
- Breast, skin and soft tissue.
- Endocrine system.
In addition to that, general surgeons are trained and experienced in providing patient care before, during, and after surgery, including:
- Surgical critical care
- Surgical oncology
When should you consider visiting a Laparoscopic Surgeon?
There are various reason that your physician might ask you to visit a laparoscopic surgery, some of them includes:
- Need to undergo the procedure but want to avoid major risks associated with traditional open surgery.
- Treatment requiring only simple procedures.
- Having an existing medical condition that make an open surgery risky.
- Require a diagnostic examination of the internal organs and/or a biopsy.
What are some of the problems diagnosed and treated with Laparoscopy?
Laparoscopy is used to diagnose and treat many problems including:
- Female infertility.
- Problems of the female reproductive system.
- Ectopic pregnancy.
- Diseases of the urinary system.
- Cancers of the internal organs.
- Removal of diseased organs such as the gallbladder or appendix.
- Removal or repair of diseased parts of the colon or stomach (digestive system).
- Removal or repair of the bladder, ureters, or kidneys (urinary system).
- Removal or repair of women's reproductive organs, such as the uterus or fallopian tubes.
- Tubal ligation.
- Removal of a kidney in a living donor.
- Weight-reduction procedures, such as gastric bypass.
- Repair of a hernia.
- View the liver and pancreas for the presence of cancer tumors.
- View the abdomen for signs of disease that has been difficult to diagnose (exploratory surgery).
- View a tumor in the abdomen.
- Check the source of abdominal pain or removal of scar tissue.
- Look for the source of internal bleeding or fluid buildup if the patient has a normal blood pressure.
- View injury following trauma or an accident.
- Some of the gastrointestinal procedures performed by laparoscopy are Proctosigmoidectomy, Right colectomy, Total abdominal colectomy, Proctocolectomy and Abdominoperineal resection.
- Some of the gynecological procedures performed by laparoscopy are Ovarian cyst removal, Tubal ligation, Hysterectomy, Myomectomy and Laparoscopic removal of endometriosis.
- Some of the urological procedures performed by laparoscopy are Nephrectomy, Renal cyst removal, Renal biopsy, Pyeloplasty, Ureteropyeloscopy and Adrenalectomy.
Top General Laparoscopic Surgeons in Israel