If we have to discuss about Medical Tourism in the United States, we can safely conclude that it is the best place to be for optimum medical care, the reasons for the same to be mentioned below. The nature of travelling to a different country for the sake of medical treatment has a term, the term being medical tourism and the United States is gradually progressing to be ‘the’ place for the same.Medical Tourism in United State
If we had to discuss unique aspects of why medical tourism is different than other countries in the U.S.A we can say that:
- The value of human life is considered in extremely high regard in the U.S.A, unlike other non-American or non-European countries.
- The latest technological mechanism for patient care, unlike other countries that use pre-owned medical devices, most of them have obsolete technologies.
- Humanitarian approach with a friendly attitude towards people belonging to different ethnicities.
- Highly trained doctors.
Known Treatments in U.S.A.
The following are the treatments that U.S.A is famous for:
Organ Transplants: In the year 2015, 25,000 people received organ transplant surgery in the U.S.A. In the U.S.A organ transplants are available for the kidney, pancreas, liver, heart, and lung and intestine. Single transplants surgeries as well as double transplant surgeries are both available in the U.S.A.
Cardiovascular Ailments and their Treatment: Several surgeries pertaining to cardiovascular problems are performed in the U.S.A. Surgeries like Stents, angioplasty, and stents, Cardio version, EECP, ablation, pacemakers; implantable Cardiovascular Defibrillators, Lead extraction, Left Ventricular Assist device, etc. are performed with an enormous success rate in the U.S.A.
Orthopaedic Surgeries: With as much as 54% of orthopaedic practitioners being specialists U.S.A is the most reliable destination for all kinds of orthopaedic surgeries. The most frequently treated areas in the U.S.A in the field of orthopaedics are sports medicine (15.8%), hand (10.8%) and total joint (10.4%). On an average, a total of 67 surgeries is performed per month in the U.S.A by full-time and part-time doctors.
Other domains of medicine that the U.S.A excels at are:
Hence the U.S.A has become popular for treatments in the field of complex surgeries and operations that possess a great risk to life.
Where to Go in the U.S.A for Medical Treatment?
Frankly and honestly one can go anywhere in the U.S.A and get the same standards of medical treatment. But mentioned below is a list of the Best Hospitals in United State.
- Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH): Ranked the number one hospital in the country this year, MGH has 16 adult and 5 child specialties. It is a huge research academic and treatment facility that has 999 beds. With 48,857 admissions in the most recent year, the hospital staff has performed a combined of 41,309 surgeries.
- Mayo Clinic: Sharing the number one spot with MGH, Mayo clinic employs 3,800 physicians and scientists along with 50,900 allied medical staff. The hospital specializes in diabetes and endocrinology, gastroenterology & GI surgery, nephrology, gynaecology, geriatrics, neurology & neurosurgery, pulmonology, and urology.
- Johns Hopkins Hospital: Located in Maryland, Baltimore Johns Hospital is one of the oldest and best hospitals in the U.S.A. It specializes in ENT, Geriatrics, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Urology, Rheumatology, Psychiatry, Ophthalmology, Gastroenterology, Diabetes, Endocrinology, Heart Surgery, Cancer, Gynaecology, Pulmonology, Orthopaedics
- UCLA Medical Centre, Los Angeles: It is one of the biggest facilities on the west coast of America and is the country’s third best hospital this year. It has many specialties but has won numerous accolades in the field of cardiovascular treatments and surgeries.
- Cleveland Clinic: Ranked the fifth best hospital in the country this year, Cleveland Clinic is based in Ohio but also operates in other states like Florida and Nevada and international destinations like Canada and Abu Dhabi. It specializes in heart, urology, gastroenterology, kidney disorders and rheumatology.
Average Cost of Surgeries in United States of America
Again, comparisons of costs in your country versus the costs that will be incurred in the U.S.A are null and void. The quality of treatment that one gets in the U.S.A is unlike anywhere in the world. Almost 60% of the hospitals are owned by private sector whereas 20 % hospitals are US government owned. America has won Nobel Prizes for excelling in medicine and providing health facilities. Bone marrow transplant costs $2,50,000, heart surgery is done for $30,000, etc. According to the statistics the average Medical treatment packages in United States cost about $18,000.Costs may vary a little bit on the basis of which hospital one chooses but it is more or less the same or the average of how much a patient will be charged for the same.
Are you struggling to find what you are looking for?
Get Expert's Callback
Travel Tips for Inbound Medical Tourists to the U.S.A
A few things to keep in mind when travelling to the U.S.A for medical treatment are:
- Visiting your health professional at least four weeks prior to your date of arrival.
- Having adequate health insurance after checking if the same works. In most cases, medical Insurance may be an ambiguous proposition in the U.S.A.
- A good medical facilitator or a mediator who will arrange for your entire visit along with pre-requisites required for the visit.
- As the Zika virus is a prominent threat, do check for precautions with your local medical practitioner, especially if you are somebody with you who is travelling is pregnant.
- For any emergencies when in the U.S.A always dial 911.
- Avoid travelling too late in the night or hitchhiking, as it may cause you trouble. U.S.A is very safe otherwise.
Ideally, it might be a good idea to visit the country for medical treatment coupled with exploring the country. Here are a few facts for the same.
Weather: The U.S.A has varied weather conditions where the west coast can be warm and the east coast cool. U.S.A also has a desert and can comprise of cool winds in the hilly areas and dry winds in the desert area. Do check the weather conditions of USA before visiting.
Best Time to Visit: Spring and fall are the best times to visit the country although anytime from May or September is also absolutely fine.
Places Recommended for Visit:
- Disney World
- Las Vegas
- Grand Canyon Mountains
- Witness the American icon ‘Statue of Liberty’
- The beautiful Golden Gate Bridge
- Times Square in New York
- San Francisco
- Washington D.C.
- The beaches of San Diego
- New Orleans – The Culture Hub of U.S.A.
Visa Fees and Process: A valid passport, a recommendation letter from the physician of your home country and additional reports may be required to be submitted in the U.S. Embassy for approval of a Visa. The visa fee is approximately 160 USD for nationals that require a Visa for the U.S.A.
Advanced Medical Treatments and Equipments: Medical facilities in the U.S.A are equipped with the latest cutting edge technology equipment when compared to anywhere in the world. The following is a list of the same.