Hydrocephalus is a condition that occurs because of the buildup of excessive fluid in the ventricles or cavities present deep in your brain. This extra fluid can put pressure on the brain and raise the chances of brain damage. Though there is no cure for hydrocephalus, the symptoms of the condition can be managed with shunt surgery.
Read below to know why ventriculoperitoneal shunt surgery for hydrocephalus treatment is a good option.
What Is Ventriculoperitoneal Shunt Surgery?
To drain the excess cerebrospinal fluid from your brain, the neurosurgeon will place a VP shunt in your head. The VP shunt will move the extra fluid from your brain into your abdomen. Here, your body will absorb this extra fluid. Consequently, the swelling and the pressure in your brain will be reduced. A shunt is usually a small tube with a valve that controls the flow of cerebrospinal fluid. Thus, ensuring that the fluid doesn’t drain too fast from your brain. The surgery for a VP shunt lasts for about 1-2 hours. During the operation, you will be under general anesthesia and will have to stay for some days in the hospital till you recover.
How Is A VP Shunt For Hydrocephalus Useful?
VP shunt has become one of the most common treatments for hydrocephalus. It offers numerous benefits such as
- A VP shunt successfully regulates the pressure, amount, and flow of cerebrospinal fluid out of the ventricles in your brain. This helps in relieving the pressure and preventing brain damage.
- The VP shunt can be programmed. It has an external valve that is adjustable. Thus, allowing the surgeon to modulate the setting of the device as per the requirement of the patient.
- The healthcare team can easily assess the functioning of the VP shunt as they can collect the cerebrospinal fluids conveniently.
- You can recover within 3-4 days after the VP shunt surgery and get back to work
7 days after the procedure.
- VP shunts can last for several years, especially in the case of children. If you are an adult then you won’t have to think about replacing your VP shunt for the next 8 years or even more.
- Most people with VP shunt can perform their day-to-day activities normally and are able to enjoy their lives. However, to make sure that your recovery is on the right track, you should regularly attend follow-up sessions with your neurosurgeon.
Due to the numerous benefits it offers, VP shunt for hydrocephalus has become a go-to treatment. However, it may not be a suitable choice for everyone. If you are considering a VP shunt surgery for your hydrocephalus, you should get in touch with a skilled neurosurgeon who has expertise in performing the procedure and can evaluate your suitability for this treatment.
Questions To Ask Your Doctor
To understand if a VP shunt surgery for your hydrocephalus is a good choice, you need to discuss your condition and the treatment in depth with your neurosurgeon. Some of the questions you can ask your neurologist/neurosurgeon are:
- What makes you believe a shunt will be beneficial for me?
- Will all my symptoms improve with a VP shunt surgery?
- What are the possible complications of VP shunt surgery?
- In general, what will be the results of my shunt surgery?
- If I don’t undergo shunt surgery, what will be the course of my hydrocephalus?
- Are there other treatment options available for me?
- How long will it take for me to recover from the surgery?
- For how long will I have to be careful of risks after the surgery?
- When will I see the effects of the surgery on my condition?
- How long will I have to be in the hospital after the surgery?
Get VP Shunt Surgery At The Location Of Your Choice
Finding the best hospital and neurosurgeon for your VP shunt surgery is now made easy with MediGence.We provide pre-bundled VP shunt surgery packages at an affordable cost. With us, you receive treatment from renowned neurosurgeons at accredited hospitals in the destination of your choice. You can save up to 30% on your healthcare costs without any compromise on the quality of the care received. Our packages are inclusive of features such as medical vouchers, city tours, airport transfers, and much more.
Avail VP Shunt Treatment Across the World
Hydrocephalus shouldn’t prevent you from enjoying your life. By receiving VP shunt surgery from well-trained neurosurgeons, you can overcome the symptoms of this condition. The procedure offers many benefits. Talk to an expert neurosurgeon to decide if VP shunt surgery is the right treatment for you.