Have you heard of it? In a study by WHO- Every year, around the world, between 250,000 and 500,000 people suffer a spinal cord injury (SCI). The majority of spinal cord injuries are due to preventable causes such as road traffic crashes, falls or violence.
To summarize, spinal cord injuries are becoming more common over the world, particularly among the elderly.
Damage to the spinal cord caused by trauma (e.g., a car accident) or disease or degeneration is referred to as a “spinal cord injury” (e.g. cancer). Although there is no credible estimate of global prevalence, the annual global incidence is believed to be 40 to 80 cases per million people. Up to 90% of these instances are caused by traumatic events, however non-traumatic spinal cord damage looks to be on the rise. A new age medicine, stem cells, has emerged in the healthcare sector as a regenerative tool for treating and curing serious medical diseases, thanks to significant breakthroughs in treatment methods and technology. During embryogenesis, stem cells grow, move, and differentiate to produce organisms. The therapeutic promise of stem cells for Spinal Cord Injury (SCI) is warranted, given their unique ability to self-renew and differentiate into any cell type in the body. The pathophysiology of spinal cord injury is complicated. Axonal regeneration is inhibited by microenvironmental alterations after the original damage. By controlling the inflammatory response, promoting vascularization, and reducing cystic alteration, stem cells may be able to offer trophic support to the traumatized spinal cord microenvironment.
Symptoms & Causes of Spinal Cord Injury
- Loss of mobility
- Sensation loss or impairment, including the capacity to feel heat, cold, and touch
- Control of the bowels or bladder is lost.
- Spasms or exaggerated reflex actions
- Sexual function, sexual sensitivity, and fertility changes
- Damage to the nerve fibers in your spinal cord causes pain or a stinging sensation.
- Breathing difficulties, coughing, or a need to clean mucus from your lungs
Following an accident, some of the emergency indications and symptoms of a spinal cord injury include:
- Back pain that is unbearable or pressure in your neck, head, or back
- In any portion of your body, you may experience weakness, incoordination, or paralysis
- In your hands, fingers, feet, or toes, you may experience numbness, tingling, or a loss of sensation
- bladder or bowel control problems
- Balance and walking difficulties
- Breathing problems after an injury
- A twisted or unusually positioned neck or back
- Spinal cord injuries can result from damage to the vertebrae, ligaments or disks of the spinal column or to the spinal cord itself.
Causes are categorized under three categories-
- A quick, severe impact to your spine that fractures, dislocates, crushes, or compresses one or more of your vertebrae can result in a traumatic spinal cord injury. A gunshot or knife trauma that penetrates and cuts your spinal cord might potentially cause it.
- Additional damage is frequently caused by bleeding, edoema, inflammation, and fluid collection in and around your spinal cord over the course of days or weeks.
- Arthritis, cancer, inflammation, infections, or spinal disc degeneration can all result in a nontraumatic spinal cord injury.
Common causes of Spinal Cord Injury are-
- Motor Vehicles Accidents- Accidents involving automobiles and motorcycles are the most common cause of spinal cord injuries, accounting for about half of all new spinal cord injuries each year.
- Falls- A fall is the most frequent cause of a spinal cord injury beyond the age of 65.
- Acts of violence- Violent contacts account for about 12% of spinal cord injuries, with gunshot wounds being the most common. Knife injuries are also common.
- Injuries from sports and recreational activities- Around 10% of spinal cord injuries are caused by athletic activities such as impact sports and diving in shallow water.
- Diseases- Spinal cord injuries can also be caused by cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis, and inflammation of the spinal cord.
Types of Spinal Cord Injury conditions treated by Stem cell therapy
Based on the extent loss of connection, SCI has two types-
Complete Spinal Cord Injuries-
The complete form of spinal cord injury happens when the connection between the brain and the spinal cord is severed completely. This suggests that all function and feeling have been lost. A total spinal cord damage results in loss of movement control. However, with exercise and stem cell treatment, there may be some recovery of function following extensive spinal cord injury treatment. Three types of complete spinal injuries are Tetraplegia, Paraplegia, and Triplegia.
Incomplete Spinal Cord Injuries-
The severance of the spinal cord is not complete in an incomplete spinal cord injury. There is still some sensation or function that hasn’t been lost. As a result, a patient with an incomplete spinal cord injury may perceive sensory activity below the affected location. After precise spinal cord injury therapy, these forms of spinal cord injuries have a better chance of improving. The likelihood of total cord injuries have decreased as the quality of spinal cord therapy and first reaction has improved, which has enhanced the chances of spinal cord recovery as well. Mos common types of incomplete spinal cord injuries are Anterior Cord Syndrome, Central Cord Syndrome, Brown-Sequard Syndrome.
Depending on the Levels of SCI– there are four levels of injury conditions of the spine: Cervical, Thoracic or Dorsal, Lumbar & Sacral, which are responsible for various movements and sensations in the different parts of the body.
Are you struggling to find what you are looking for?
Get Expert's Callback
Importance of Stem Cell Therapy for Spinal Cord Injuries
Under ideal circumstances, spinal cord injury (SCI) is a catastrophic, life-altering injury that clinicians find difficult to treat. It might be difficult to adjust to life after a spinal cord injury. You might anticipate to be upset or furious at times, as well as lament for the abilities you’ve lost. It’s critical to communicate these emotions so that they don’t hold you back from moving forward and so that you can get a long-term treatment with no adverse effects. Treatment with large incisions can make it more difficult for a patient to fully recover. Improvements in outcomes and quality of life have been possible thanks to the creation of services for comprehensive SCI management and continued technology advancements. Traumatic spinal cord injuries are one of the areas where stem cell therapy has had the most success. These devastating injuries frequently result in significant neurological damage, and individuals seldom recover completely. Fortunately, stem cell therapies can provide patients with novel treatment alternatives that are yielding increasingly encouraging results. The millions of cells transplanted in therapy are sufficient to not only reverse daily losses that have occurred over the course of the patient’s life, but also to cover cellular losses caused by trauma.
Stem Cell Treatment Protocol used for Spinal Cord Injury by GAIA (in association with CEMAB)
A spinal cord injury may be complete or incomplete. A person with a complete injury doesn’t have any feeling or movement below the level of the injury. In an incomplete injury, the person still has some feeling or movement in the affected area. Talking about the stem cells properties, Stem cells are uniquely and intrinsically able to migrate to sites of damage and inflammation in the body. Studies have shown that stem cells are able to orchestrate the repair and regeneration of deteriorated tissues, as well as modulate the immune system, to promote better health.
Depending on the ailment or the patient’s initial condition, the benefits of stem cell therapy can include a reduction in harmful symptoms, the slowing of the progression of the disease, and an overall increase in quality of life.
In order to restore you mobility with stem cell therapy, GAIA (in collaboration with CEMAB Advanced Biotechnology & Stem cell Laboratory) has designed some treatment protocol, to give you a proper line of treatment.
- Our two-day protocol centers on the intrathecal transplant of stem cells
- A minimum of 120 million cord tissue-derived MSCs (Mesenchymal Stem Cells) are injected directly into the spinal canal.
- The procedure takes approximately 45 minutes, is minimally invasive, and has very little downtime.
- Patients normally travel home two days following their scheduled appointment.
This protocol aims to reduce the overall levels of chronic low-grade inflammation in the body. The effects are expected to last for a very long time.
Advantages of Stem Cell Therapy for Spinal Cord Injuries
Stem cells are very useful in the regeneration of tissues with limited healing capability. Articular cartilage (found in elbows, knees, and other joints) cannot be restored by the body, but it does have a short lifespan and wears out over time. Fortunately, stem cells (which help the body heal itself) have been employed to successfully create new articular tissue within joints. This technique eliminates the need for painful and invasive joint replacement surgery while also shortening recuperation durations. Many bone, tendon, and ligament disorders can be treated with stem cells to rebuild damaged tissue. The transplanted cells travel spontaneously to damaged areas of the body, replacing damaged cells and rebuilding lost or wounded tissue.
The world’s breakthrough of cell therapy for spinal cord injury has radically changed the view that people with spinal cord injuries are doomed to a life of immobile exile. Cell therapy for spinal cord damage has showed the following benefits at GAIA (Operated by CEMAB specialists):
- Improved trunk control
- Standing balance
- Sitting balance
- Bladder movements
- Improved postural hypotension
How To Apply For Stem Cell Treatment for Spinal Cord injury?
Applying for stem cell therapy is very convenient and hassle-free for you through MediGence-
- Step1– Send us an inquiry with relevant details of your condition
- Step2– Our team of experts will validate your case
- Step3– A dedicated patient care manager will be assigned to your case
- Step4– Once validated, you can also avail a tele consultation with our stem cell specialist
Are you struggling to find what you are looking for?
Get Expert's Callback
>>Frequently Asked Questions
No. Although stem cells have shown to be beneficial in spinal cord injury research and are being evaluated in clinical trials, there are presently no proven and licenced stem cell permanent treatments for spinal cord injuries. Your outcomes will be determined by your treatment follow-up plan, which includes gradual weight-bearing exercise and walking without the use of splints or other supportive devices. Using the Kunming walker, it is based on the rule of six, which is “6 hours of walking every day for 6 days a week for 6 months.” After 6 months, persons with paraplegia are generally able to walk without the use of splints.
Physiotherapy, Occupational therapy, Dietary modification, Aquatic therapy, Group therapies and motivational therapies will be really helpful in your recovery after a stem cell transplantation.
Stem cells are indeed very beneficial in the regeneration of tissues with limited healing capability. Articular cartilage (found in elbows, knees, and other joints) can’t be repaired by the body, although it does have a short lifespan and wears out. Fortunately, stem cells (which control the body’s natural healing process) have been employed to successfully create new articular tissue in joints. This technique eliminates the need for painful and invasive joint replacement surgeries while also shortening recuperation time. Stem cells can also be used to regenerate the damaged tissue causing many bone, tendon, and ligament conditions. The transplanted cells naturally migrate to damaged areas in the body to replace damaged cells, regenerating lost or injured tissue. The use of stem cells to treat spinal cord injuries holds great potential. In animal models and people, much research on stem cell therapy for spinal cord damage has been undertaken. For spinal cord treatment, it focuses on restoring lost or injured cells and stimulating axonal development and remyelination of axons. The cells move to the damage site and begin the healing process. They secrete trophic substances in order to slow neuronal degeneration and promote angiogenesis. These substances also stimulate dormant cells, causing them to migrate to the affected area. The development of functioning neural circuits facilitating functional recovery has been established in experimental models of stem cell treatment for spinal cord injury. They also influence the immunological response following a spinal cord injury, trigger the breakdown of inhibitory scars inside the spinal cord, and remove cell debris while protecting neurons. Treatment for a spinal cord injury within six months of the accident reduces the chance of inflammation. Stem cell therapy for spinal cord injury promotes neuroprotection and neuroregeneration, allowing for the production of new synapses and axonal sprouting, which aids in the formation of new neurons. In some situations of spinal cord damage, we use stem cell therapy to promote the growth of the underlying tissues through angiogenesis and neuroprotection. An action potential is formed when the latent source of the cells rapidly rises and falls, resulting in the repair and renewal of cells such as neurons and glial cells, which convey electrochemical impulses through stem cell therapy for spinal cord damage. The cells transmit information between the brain and the spinal cord and act as bearers of that information. It also aids in the regeneration of the myelin sheath and increases the speed with which nerves transmit information. Neurotrophic factors, cytokines, and other chemicals are released to renew cell tissues and build blood supply. All of these elements contribute to the development of a new structural arrangement for younger nerve cells in the injured area.
MediGence is a health-tech organization that specializes in improving quality healthcare accessibility using its innovative set of tools and technology. With a global network of internationally certified and recognized healthcare providers, we strive hard to simplify the complexity in availing the expert second opinion (named thinkTWICE), online virtual consultation (Telemedicine), Treatment overseas (multiple options), Treatment with complimentary additional benefits & discounts (Prebundled packages), and Post-operative care (comprehensive patient care with post-op packages). Many other services are still in progress.
Following the HIPAA and GDPR compliances, MediGence became one of the first companies certified by TEMOS for upholding international quality standards.
MediGence has always placed a premium on gaining and maintaining the trust of its patients and the physicians with whom it works. We’ve always strived for excellence and expanded our service offerings to our patients in order to increase healthcare accessibility and quality of life for them. We’ve formed a number of useful and reputable partnerships with world-class hospitals and doctors all over the world. We, like the others, have brought GAIA from Colombia (a world-renowned stem cell advanced laboratory in association with CEMAB) on board, as we recognize the importance of stem cells in the future. Stem cells are often regarded as the medicine of the future.
Some major values that we follow are-
- Our focus is safety, efficacy, and patient-centric care when providing access to superior stem cell therapy and other treatment techniques
- We utilize only board-certified surgeons, physicians, and accredited clinicians to provide care for patients.
- A clinical team with expertise in practicing stem cell therapy for various conditions at GAIA & CEMAB
- Methods of administering stem cells that steer them to certain conditions
- Skilled Patient Advocates/Advisors who are trained to provide truthful, realistic expectations resulting from stem cells therapy. We do not make outlandish promises of cures or inaccurate claims related to improvement rates
We have numerous reasons as to why choose us for your medical accessibility partner-
- Patients’ convenience is our motto and for that, in these years of our existence, we have launched patient-centric services & products such as Telemedicine, thinkTwice, Prebundled & Prenegotiated Packages for availing treatment abroad with additional benefits, our network of 4000+ doctors in 20+ countries, our exploring platform for multiple treatments overseas, our logistics arrangement, and much more.
- MediGence ensures that you receive complete attention and a stress-free medical experience in addition to delivering products and services. Keeping this in mind, we’ve assigned specialist case managers to your case, who will handle all of your coordination with the doctor, healthcare staff, and hospital, as well as any other necessary logistics arrangements.
- Not only do we have a large network of healthcare providers visiting or connecting with us from all over the world, but we also have a wide network of patients who have complete faith in us to handle their entire medical journey. We have been the most popular healthcare providers among patients from Turkey, India, Russia, Spain, Singapore, Lithuania, the United Arab Emirates, the United States, the United Kingdom, and a variety of other countries.
- We chose to work with GAIA for stem cell therapies because we wanted to broaden our service offerings and help suffering people all over the world avoid invasive surgical procedures.
- Together, we are providing stem cell treatment for successfully treating autoimmune or inflammatory diseases like Autism, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s, Arthritis, Lupus, Inflammatory Bowel Disease, Diabetes, Psoriasis, Graves’ Disease, and many others – often with breathtaking results.
- We have a network of several doctors from Central and South America. who have helped thousands of patients restore their health with STEM CELL therapies. They have demonstrated an impeccable safety profile, and the results have often been breathtaking, utilizing these advanced treatments that are not available in the world.
- We work with pioneers of stem cell science who have bought this cutting-edge technology in the world and that too at affordable rates.
- Many celebrities have benefited from stem cell therapies and they have also encouraged people in many talk shows by telling them the advantages of stem cells.
- There is no compromise on the treatment quality due to reduced prices, as we have already established beneficial mutual collaborations with the hospitals & doctors.
- Before undertaking the stem cell treatment, MediGence always prefers you to consult with the specialists via phone consultation or teleconsultation, which can help you with more clarity regarding your condition and treatment eligibility, possibilities, durability, & other factors.
Providing an epilogue to the above benefits with MediGence, we have-
- 150+ years of collective healthcare and technology experience
- Patient-centric approach with a focus on well-being
- Affordable healthcare options worldwide
- Ease of access of the world’s best healthcare
- Patients’ data privacy by complying to HIPAA and GDPR compliance
The use of stem cells to treat spinal cord injuries is completely safe and effective. For both elective and non-elective conditions, stem cell therapy is a non-surgical, injectable treatment option. As a result, most adult stem cell therapy is seen to be safe because the stem cells are taken from the patient, lowering the possibility of a negative reaction. Temporary swelling and discomfort are the most prevalent side effects. By controlling the inflammatory response, promoting vascularization, and reducing cystic alteration, stem cells may be able to offer trophic support to the wounded spinal cord microenvironment.
The technique (as performed by the CEMAB stem cell advanced laboratory) takes around 45 minutes, is minimally invasive, and has very little downtime. Patients usually return to their homes two days after their scheduled session. The effects usually appear four to six weeks following the injection. Your immune system will normally take 6 to 12 months to heal after a transplant. The first year after a transplant is similar to the first year of a newborn baby’s life. Any manual manipulation or strong rotation should be avoided. Remember that you have the best chance of success if you heal well in the first two months after the treatment. The cells are delicate, and you must be careful not to overload them or subject them to undue stress or shearing. As a result, you must take good care of yourself by scheduling regular follow-up meetings with your stem cell expert or team and following a line of therapies like Physical therapy, occupational, motivations therapies for your speedy recovery.
Absolutely, yes! You are always welcome to consult our specialists/patient advocates before you decide to travel abroad. You can book an online consultation with one of our highly qualified “Stem Cell Treatment” experts, who will go over your medical history and walk you through the treatment process and potential outcomes. Based on your medical facts, he or she will determine your treatment eligibility and answer any questions you may have. If you just follow the booking instructions, a call with stem cell experts will be scheduled using our teleconsultation platform.
To schedule a virtual consultation with a stem cell expert, go to the Telemedicine platform, which was created by MediGence under HIPAA-compliant security and safety regulations for your healthcare convenience. Telemedicine allows you to have a one-on-one virtual interaction with a doctor/stem cell specialist that is hassle-free, simple to use, and very inexpensive.
The rate of progression and the particular symptoms differ among individuals. Keeping this mind, MediGence took the charge to assist you at every step of your stem cell process. Here, our collective 150+ years of healthcare experience rise as our power. We have stem cell experts, knowledgeable & experienced patient advocates, dedicated case managers & 24*7 consultation service for your convenience.
The following is the response to the question of how we can help you with the complete stem cell process-
- MediGence connects you with a network of certified & most recognized doctors and our patient-centric services
- MediGence is in-charge of your complete stem cell treatment process, from booking to recovery.
- MediGence- Walks you through the full treatment process as well as the benefits you’ll receive.
- Transparently displays the cost of stem cell therapy for each disease/condition
- In just a click, we will established your contact with one of our ‘Stem cell specialists’ for a quick chat about your eligibility and treatment protocol.
- Make an appointment with your doctor for an online consultation before you travel.
- Make an appointment with GAIA for your treatment.
- When you’re ready to fly for treatment, make your plans.
- Your treatment plan includes follow-up consultations.
Before initiating a treatment/procedure, MediGence will ensure that you receive all essential answers during your consultation. That’s why we recommend calling us and speaking with one of our knowledgeable representatives. Schedule a personal, one-on-one appointment to discuss your concerns and learn more about our cutting-edge treatments to see if stem cell Spinal cord injury treatment is right for your child. Please contact us straight away!